Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Touring SL isn't as Easy as it Looks

Well, I thought I was going to take this amazing tour of Second Life about disabilities.  I know, it would have been perfect considering I plan on becoming a special education teacher.  Alas, my web browser did not seem to like Second Life and kicked me out at least three times making touring very tiresome and more so very frustrating.  Which was unfortunate.  This was one of the quests that seemed not only the most enjoyable but the most beneficial to my future career as a special education teacher.  I guess I will have to put off a more extensive tour of the disability world for now until I can get to a computer that is much more cooperative with SL.  Until then I will share my thoughts on my brief yet informative tour on the topic of Schizophrenia. 

Now, I know what you might be thinking Schizophrenia is a disorder that occurs with people in their late teens to earlier twenties and you would be right.  So, how could this information be helpful to me as a a teacer?  Well, I'll tell you how.  In the Virtual Hallucination's world you are given the opportunity to step inside the shoes of someone with this disorder and see what it is like to live in their perspective with having to deal with having hallucinations.  As you can see from the picture I was able to see how TVs are known for inducing hallucinations.  People with Schizophrenia often believe that their TV is talking to them when it, of course, isn't.  What these virtual reenactments provide us is a look at a different perspective.  As teachers we need to have the ability to place ourselves in our students' shoes and gain their perspective on things involving what they want to learn, how best they will learn it, etc.  If we don't we won't be able to teach them as well as we could and should. 

In the time to come I hope to share with you more information on disability once I get a chance to really get my tour going.  Hopefully this was a good start for you and I will be bringing you more information about disability so stay tuned.  Until next time and there should be a next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment